Apache Wookie (Incubating) Training day
by Sander van der Waal on 5 January 2010
11 February 2010, 09:30 - 16:00 Oxford University Computing Services, 13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN
OSS Watch is organising an Apache Wookie (Incubating) training day in Oxford for developers who are interested in Wookie and who want to get hands-on experience with it. People who wish to attend the training day are expected to also attend the Wookie Sessions during the Dev8D days and be willing to introduce others to the basics of widget creation.
Wookie provides an implementation of the W3C widget standard and allows you to write, deploy and manage W3C-compliant widgets easily. The project is also working on implementing extra modules, such as a Google Wave Gadgets API. Furthermore, several plugins have been written to integrate with other systems, e.g. Moodle and Wordpress.
This event is invitation only. If you are nevertheless interested in coming we welcome you to contact us and make a case for yourself.
Programme: The programme consists of one general presentation and three practical sessions. The practical sessions will be a lot of interactive peer programming.
- 09:30 Coffee
- 10:00 Presentation : Intro to Wookie (Scott Wilson, University of Bolton; biography, presentation )
- 10:30 Practical Session : Building a basic widget using Open StreetMaps (Ross Gardler, OSS Watch; biography, presentation)
- 11:15 Break
- 11:30 Practical Session : Building a ToDo widget (Scott Wilson, presentation)
- 12:30 Lunch
- 13:30 Practical Session : Building your first widget (all)
- 15:15 Break
- 15:30 Widget demonstrations (all)
- 16:00 Close and Pub
Attendees are invited afterwards to an informal gathering at a pub with members of OSS Watch.